Tuesday, February 17, 2015

What's in a name?

Let me start but saying....I LOVE all of my kids names and wouldn't change them! 

However, I always took pride in thinking I would give my kids names that weren't super common but not weird unique names either. I had a few rules when we picked names:
1. No passing down names. I feel pretty passionate about not passing names down. I think each kiddo is an individual and should have their own name. To each their own...it's just not for me.

2. Age appropriate names...they are stuck with this name their entire lives, it should fit all ages!

3.  There should be no questions about how to pronounce it. 

Three simple rules!

Peyton Ashley:
Peyton had her first name picked pretty early on. We (meaning I) teetered on a few others, Hayden, Allison...some others I don't really remember. But we both agreed on Peyton. She didn't have a middle name for a long time...I really wanted Briley or Aubrey, but Bryce wasn't convinced. Finally I told Bryce he could pick (I was willing to save my picks for future first names!)...and Ashley took the win. I always thought her name was pretty straight forward. But we live in Denver...Peyton Manning land!!  While we are big Broncos fans...we are not crazy! As often as I get asked...no, we did not name our daughter AFTER Peyton Manning! They just happen to have the same name. 

Trevor Amen and Jensen Reed:
So Bryce and I decided with the boys that we weren't going to share their names until they were born. To be honest, it was mostly done to torture our families and so we didn't have to hear name advice. We weren't really sure we would make it without spilling the beans...but wanted to try! I must say, I'm super impressed we lasted the whole time. 
Anyways, the way the boys got their names started out with a long list of possible names that we both added to. Then we stared crossing off names we didn't like, until we had a short list. Bryce said he really liked Trevor and I said I really liked Jensen...and their names were decided. Then we picked middle names that we felt matched well. Pretty simple. 
I'm not really sure where Bryce came up with the name Trevor, a baby book perhaps, but either way it's perfect!  I however had a little secret of where I came up with Jensen's name...that I only shared with Bryce several months after we had already decided on names. 

One of my guilty pleasures is the show Supernatural. I have watched it pretty religiously for a couple of years and watch all of the reruns when they play them in the mornings. Bryce makes fun of me for it...but I like it! Well, one of the main actors in the show is named Jensen. I liked it. It's unique but not weird! And Bryce agreed to it...of course without knowing its origins. Now that he knows where I got the name he likes to give me a hard time...but he likes it too. At the time of picking the name I thought it was perfect (I still do)...but since he's been born, people have a hard time with the name (clearly they are not fans of Supernatural). I often hear people think his name is: Jemsen, Jebsen, Genesee...and I'm sure we'll hear many more over the years. 

And so I apologize to Peyton and Jensen (Trevor's name has been problem free so far...good work Bryce) for giving them names that belong to famous people or may be a little unheard of. But they fit you oh so well!! I wouldn't change a thing!!


No comments:

Post a Comment