Saturday, April 4, 2015

The crier


You might think from looking at the title that I'm talking about one of the boys....but no, I'm talking about Peyton!

I have recently signed Peyton up for 2 different classes. A Pre-preschool class and a dance class. Both classes are once a week and about an hour long. And for both classes parents are out of the room. However, in her dance class has her bestie, Kinley, with her. 

In both classes Peyton is the "crier". Yep, she pouts or cries the ENTIRE time. Granted she has only been to her pre-preschool class twice and her dance class once....but I can't help but be critical of myself as a parent when I see she's the only one in both classes crying. 

I wonder if this is somehow my fault...that because I'm a stay-at-home mom she doesn't get to experience daily activities without me there. And I wonder if I have "held her hand" through too much...that now because of that she can't handle an hour of playing with other kids by herself.

No one enjoys watching their children be upset. So the struggle becomes...do I let her keep pouting or crying in class in hopes that she'll get used to it and let herself have fun? Or do we stop the classes because she's getting upset? 

My mom keeps telling me she's fine and it's just a phase and she'll get used to it. That it's not a reflection of me as a parent and I haven't done anything wrong. She reminds me that all of her kids went through similar things and that my little sister was the worst with it but she eventually learned to do things on her own. 

My motherly instinct is to rescue her...but I worry that "rescuing" her might deprive her of the opportunity to thrive and grow in an environment without mom....to really build independence.  I think about what advice I would give a friend if they were in my situation...and I feel like I would tell them to continue to encourage their child to do the classes because they will eventually get used to it.  That it's teaching independence in a healthy and safe environment.  

I don't know that there is correct solution or way to handle it. Or a specific reason, other than age perhaps, for the behavior. In fact it is probably all pretty normal. But I do know that this mom stuff is hard...and the struggle is real!!













No comments:

Post a Comment