Monday, November 3, 2014

Happy Due Date

There is something surreal about today being the boys actual due date.  When we first found out we were pregnant, we were expecting 1 sweet baby in early November! And now....we have 2 sweet boys already 2 weeks old. 

9 months ago when we began this journey, we had no clue what we were really getting into.  And even less of a clue when we found out it was twins. 

Currently, it's 7:30 in the morning. I have been up for several hours already.  I have Jensen sleeping in the crib next to the bed and Trevor (who had proven to be quite the cuddler and a mama's boy) sleeping on my left shoulder while I pump  my right boob and am somehow blogging with a "free" hand! Extreme multitasking.



Most days I spend my mornings in bed trying to get 3 kids fed, diaper changed and either calm or sleeping and get a pumping session in...sometimes this is successful and sometimes it's not!  The challenge is obviously when I have 2 newborns that both need to be held and calmed at the same time...meanwhile my almost 2 year old is climbing on things and riffling through drawers. I won't lie, sometimes there are tears (from me) before I can successfully get 3 happy/content kids. 

Once we make it past the morning, our afternoons tend to be a bit calmer (though not always)!!  Bryce and I work together to get both boys fed and changed in the middle of the night. I usually end up with one or more babies sleeping on me in between nightly feeds...I can't say I mind. I LOVE baby cuddles. 

I think one of the hardest things has been figuring out how to feed 2 babies. Breastfeeding was important to me....and both boys took to it nicely.  The struggle is that they both enjoy nursing for long periods of time and we aren't yet ready for tandem nursing. So it makes it hard when both boys are hungry at the same time. We have had to do some supplementing to keep their weights up. So we have been experimenting with ways of using the supplementing to help us manage most effectively TWO hungry babies. It's hard to know we have to supplement because I can't fully keep up with them...but I have to remind myself...I'm only one person and I have 3 kids all under 2 years of age that all need my attention and care...I'm doing the best that I can!

And so here we are, a family of 5...with an almost 2 year old and 2 newborns (who are already 2 weeks old!!). And this is now our life...and we are figuring it out one day at a time. 























No comments:

Post a Comment